The Story of Stella’s Birth.

Our fourth child, our second girl, Stella, is four weeks old today.
Time seems to somehow stand still and yet fly when you have a newborn.
The first time we heard her tiny heartbeat, the first time she was placed in my arms, the first feed, the first eye contact … we are soaking in every moment with Stella. So thankful she is a part of our family, Bernier6.

This is Stella’s story…overall God’s story for Stella.

(Sorry for the bad quality pictures. Our “real camera” died, so I only have phone pictures now.)

Stella was born five days overdue. The waiting time after your due date is hard! Lots of extra grace was poured over me as I waited, which is amazing considering how hot it was (no AC at the time in our house or our van), how restless our kids were (they too were waiting for their little sister to arrive), and how ready I was to be done. Did I mention how hard it is waiting? 
My doctor told me to call the hospital Thursday, July 7th, at 5:30am to see if there was room for me to be induced. “Yes! Come in at 8am!” So, we went. Dwight’s Dad dropped us off at the hospital which is only two kilometres away. (Dwight’s parents were in town to watch the kids.)


With smiles on our faces and butterflies in my stomach, we walked into the birthing centre only to be told, “Sorry, there are no beds for you anymore. We will call you back at 3pm with an update.” Oh the sadness. Dwight and I decided to use this built-in-babysitter-time to go to a bookstore. Starbucks. Books. Waiting. Waiting.


At three that afternoon the nurse called to tell me that I would likely be induced the next morning, IF there was room by that time. Deep breath, “O.K.!”. After a good nap, my phone rang at five o’clock, “If you come in right now(!), we can induce you. Can you do that?” YES! We grabbed our bags (for the second time) and drove to the hospital.


Right away my wonderful (wonderful!) nurse got an IV going, hooked me and Stella up to monitors, and my doctor came in to break my water. I was surprised she was going to break it right away; and when I asked why, she said that if my water is broken they can’t send me home if another patient comes in. Best doctor.


Dwight and I walked around the very small loop in the birthing centre for 45 minutes to see if any contractions would start on their own. No game. My nurse had me lay down to start the Pitocin to induce my labour at 6:25pm. (I was two centimetres dilated at this point.) She said once my contractions were steady and close enough together she would get my epidural right away. Music, sweet music to my ears. Not because I was in pain but because with my other three pregnancy (I was induced for all of them) I tried to hold off as long as possible before getting the epidural to help the process go faster. But not this time around!


By 8:45pm my contractions were steady, not too painful, but steady and I was 4cm dilated. Cue the epidural. Ahh, relief. Dwight took a nap while I tried to get some sleep (fat chance). The nurse checked me at 11pm and I was only 5.5cm dilated.


Around 11:20pm I started to feel the contractions a bit. They weren’t painful, but I was able to feel when they started, when they peeked, and when they left. My nurse upped my epidural some and then decided to check my dilation. In 25 minutes (!!!), I went from 5.5cm to 10cm! “Dwight, wake up, it’s baby-time!” My doctor was waiting in the hospital (I was her last birth before she left for Europe on vacation), so it was only a few minutes before she was there and they said I could push. It was 11:35pm at the time, and they wondered if I was going to have a July 7th baby or July 8th baby. July 7th I said—my babies come fast!

I was right. Less than three pushes later and there was Stella Sarai Marie. All red, “juicy” (my nurse said)—as in chubby cheeks, with white gunk all over her.


This is my favourite part of this story. Not that the rest of it doesn’t already point to a big and wonderful God, but this part takes the cake. As soon as Stella came out the doctor saw that there was a very tight true knot in Stella’s umbilical cord. (A tight true knot in the umbilical cord could cause death when that baby is being born, cutting off their support of life.) My doctor and my nurse both said a few times, “She is lucky to be with us!” Dwight and I looked at each other, knowing that it’s not luck that she is with us. Jesus kept her safe, alive, well. She was born July 7th, 2016 at 11:38pm weighing 7 pounds 10 ounces and 51cm long.

This is His Story for Stella, and it’s a good one!



One thought on “The Story of Stella’s Birth.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s